news24xx.com
Saturday, 17 Nov 2018

At least 64 people have been killed as Typhoon Mangkhut hit the Philippines

news24xx


A car is stranded in seawater as high waves hit the shore at Heng Fa Chuen, during Typhoon Mangkhut in Hong Kong, China  A car is stranded in seawater as high waves hit the shore at Heng Fa Chuen, during Typhoon Mangkhut in Hong Kong, China

News24xx.com -  At least 64 people have been killed in landslides and drownings as Typhoon Mangkhut pumelled the Philippines. Some of them was children.

The national police of Philippines also say 45 other people are missing and 33 were injured in the massive storm which battered the northern Philippines on Saturday, Sept 15 2018. 

Earlier, 40 people, mostly gold miners, were feared trapped in a landslide in the north of the country. 

In the Philippines, National Police Director General Oscar Albayalde said that 20 people had died in the Cordillera mountain region, four in nearby Nueva Vizcaya province and another outside of the two regions. 

 

Three more deaths have been reported in north-eastern Cagayan province, where the typhoon made landfall before dawn on Saturday. 

Among the fatalities were an infant and a two-year-old child who died with their parents after the couple refused to immediately evacuate from their community in a Nueva Vizcaya mountain town.

Francis Tolentino, an adviser to Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte, who was assigned by Mr Duterte to help coordinate disaster response, said at least two other people were missing. 

 

Mayor Mauricio Domogan said at least three people died and six others were missing in his mountain city of Baguio after strong winds and rain destroyed several houses and set off landslides, which also blocked roads to the popular holiday destination. It was not immediately clear whether the dead and missing had been included in the overall death toll. 

About 87,000 people had evacuated from high-risk areas of the Philippines.

Same situation also occured inHong Kong and southern China. Now, they are on red alert because the ‘super’ typhoon’s ferocious 100mph winds and rain hit the densely populated coast. 

Nearly half a million people have been evacuated from seven cities in the path of the powerful storm.

 

The gambling of Macau has closed down casinos for the first time and the Hong Kong Observatory has warned people to stay away from the Victoria Harbour landmark, where storm surges battered the waterfront.

Typhoon Mangkhut will make landfall in Guangdong province later today in what is expected to be the worst storm to hit the country in history. 

The national meteorological center said southern China ‘will face a severe test caused by wind and rain’ and urged officials to prepare for possible disasters. 

Hundreds of flights have been cancelled and the majority of train services in Guangdong and Hainan provinces have also been stopped, the China Railway Guangzhou Group Co said.


In Fujian province and elsewhere, tens of thousands of fishing boats returned to port and construction work came to a stop. 

Mangkhut, from the Thai word for mangosteen fruit, is the 15th storm this year to batter the Philippines, which is hit by about 20 a year and is considered one of the world’s most disaster-prone countries.

 

In 2013, Typhoon Haiyan left more than 7,300 people dead or missing, flattened villages, swept ships inland and displaced more than 5 million in the central Philippines.

 

 

 

NEWS24XX.COM/DEV/RED
 

NEWS24XX.COM

Can be read in English and 100 other International languages





loading...
Versi Mobile
Loading...